Saturday, January 22, 2011

Currently reading; THE SENTRY

Just started the latest book from excellent LA crime writer Robert Crais, whose Elvis Cole and Joe Pike tales have been added to my 'must read' list in recent years. THE SENTRY comes out in New Zealand next month, and once again we find the former sidekick Joe Pike at the centre of the action, and longtime protagonist Elvis Cole playing the supporting role.

Here's the blurb: "Dru Rayne and her uncle fled to L.A. after Hurricane Katrina; but now, five years later, they face a different danger. When Joe Pike witnesses Dru's uncle beaten by a protection gang, he offers his help, but neither of them want it-and neither do the federal agents mysteriously watching them. As the level of violence escalates, and Pike himself becomes a target, he and Elvis Cole learn that Dru and her uncle are not who they seem- and that everything he thought he knew about them has been a lie. A vengeful and murderous force from their past is now catching up to them . . . and only Pike and Cole stand in the way."

You can read my Reviewing the Evidence review of Crais's last novel, THE FIRST RULE, which also featured Joe Pike in the lead, here.

All going to plan, I should be interviewing Crais by telephone this coming week for an article in the Weekend Herald - so I'm looking forward to that. He's a great writer, and has an interesting background as well - moving to Hollywood and becoming a TV writer (Cagney & Lacey, Hill Street Blues, Miami Vice) before turning his attention (very successfully) to crime novels. I'll make sure to ask him the 9mm questions as well. If there are any other specific questions you'd like me to ask him, please let me know (leave any suggestions in a comment here).

2 comments:

  1. Craig - I'm so glad you're going to get the chance to talk to Crais. I agree: he's got talent. I'll look forward to your posting you interview :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Demolition Angel by Robert Crais is one of my favourite mystery novels. Can you ask him if he is going to do any more novels featuring Carol Starkey?

    I'm also just starting to read his Joe Pike/Cole books, so all I can say from here in Canada is he is getting more and more good press here too for his writing and the books.

    ReplyDelete